Thursday, May 20, 2010

Athletes & Back On My Feet!


Hi Everybody ... I haven't been here much on the blog as I have been linking updates to facebook thru my Twitter, but figured it's time a some shout out to the racing crew for superb efforts early in the season! I also thought it would be good to shoot an update about whats going on with my foot and running progress or lack there of ;) ... I open at the top with a picture from Blue Lakes Lodge in the middle of nowhere California (actually it's west of Lakeport ;-). I just returned form a three day, point to point ride in very remote terrain. Maybe I'll get around to doing a post on the details. It ended with almost 5:00 in the rain last Monday. I don't use the word epic very often, but that ride was EPIC. For those that know the area ... we couldn't see more than 50 feet in front of us descending Myers Grade and I doubt if many could feel their hands!

First, some shout outs to the crew:

Texas 70.3: Chuck Sloan took the age group race and finished 11th Overall with the pro men. Good way to start the season ...

Napa Half and Sprint Crew: Nice results for Pat Krueger (podium), Dad to be Scott Wing, Jamie Lau (PR), and "crazy kudos"to my wife Jen and Kyle Hughes for "doubling up". The course out there is a true, honest test ... like Wildflower there is nowhere to hide!

Wildflower Half / MTB / OD: More nice results further down south for Leslie Shaw (podium), Chris Coppinger, Mike Starkey, Ron Shaw, Caitlin Scheider-Bieschin (2nd place OA MTB Sprint), Tim Noonan.

Also: Amanda Erwin made her triumphant return to racing 1 year after a horrific bike vs. car accident by taking 5th at the OKC half marathon - welcome back Amanda! Paul Stimson has 2 notches in his belt for the California Double Century Stage Race ... one more to go and looking for a top ten! Kevin Williams for his transformation to Ultra running ... he has improved along the way with nice performances at Cool, Lake Sonoma, & Miwock ... good work Kevin!

On my feet ... back on that trail above ;-)

- It has been a long, slow, haul to get the PF to the point where I felt confident I wasn't setting myself back. It took alot of patience and a ton of persistence with a few key items. The following were the "modalities" that made a difference

- Rest, of course ;-) ... "Dave don't do anything stupid when it starts to feel good" (thanks BDC)

- Hot / Cold Contrast (thanks Shawn)

- VERY warm water first thing in the morning (thanks BDC and to Jen)

- Night Splint

- Trigger Point Self Therapy ... let me tell you I bombed myself with the TP therapy using their lower leg processand some of my own injection. I believe this really started moving stuff in the right direction and I'll continue to use it even when I get in the clear.
-
Considering I had to take four months of ZERO running, and lots of searching, I'm currently trying to "run", OK jog, 30-40 minutes, 3-4 x per week. I'll first try to raise the frequency before I pop in any volume. I'll also begin to "back end" some runs with shallow water running to try and extend my long run endurance. As far as the rest of the season? Well, right now I am going to stick to the plan of IMC and see how the next couple months progresses. If I pull it off it won't be one of the best, but I won't start unless I know I can come through without injury ... it's just not worth. I really enjoy the process of getting ready for the event, and this is sure going to be a different way of getting er' done!

My Best ... DL

No comments: