Tuesday, March 1, 2011

It's Going Around ... Plantar Fasciitis


Whether it's going around more or I'm just sensitive to it after having a horrible case for five months in 2010, I am seeing and hearing of more and more athletes who have "come down with it" OR have been "dealing with it". Since it's not my place to get in to the medical side of Plantar Fasciitis, I can describe it in this way; almost all people experiencing it have a very sharp pain in the heel of the foot. That pain is almost always prominent when waking (and walking) in the morning and in worse cases it persists through the the day. Below is what finally helped me and what I have been able to advise to athletes based on experience. In every case so far, the athletes that have stuck to the routine have come back to running / training / working successfully.

My experience and ideas are not all unique, yet came through a variety of suggestions from a few others, and I thank them for that! The unique part for me was finding the treatment routine that worked, THEN sticking with it!

Step 1: Can you identify the source of the PF? Identify the source the best you can or all the rehab in the world isn't going make it go away permanently (that's the goal). Possible Sources:

* Running Shoes: (new, old, or different) ... take a look at when the pain started and if you made any changes in your running shoes.

* Cycling Shoe-Pedal-Cleat Interface ... be sure that you are on a stable system (I prefer Look) AND that your cleats do not rock side to side or are not worn out ... also be sure the pedals are not worn where cleats contact pedals.

* Training volume, intensity, and terrain ... was there a big change in any of these at the time pain started?

For me it was a "perfect storm" of items one and two. By the time I figured it out I was toast! I find for most people it's a combination of item and one and three

Once you have PF, then what?

1) Wear the Boot!: there are many varieties but the following link shows what I finally began wearing after way too long of not getting optimal results out of the Strausberg Sock.

- http://www.footsmart.com/p-healwell-night-splint-10130.aspx -- I wore this every night until I knew for sure I was in the clear

2) TP Massage Foot & Lower Leg Kit: I started out using the products and doing their simple 15 min. routine 2-3 x per day and I'm still using it today (though I should use it more): http://store.tptherapy.com/TP_Performance_Foot_and_Lower_Leg_Kit_p/tpt-pfkr.htm
** Problems with PF typically don't arise from a foot problem, for most, it starts above it in the lower leg. Therefore, for most, treating simply the foot is only a temporary fix!

***NOTE: for local athletes the TP Massage product is available at Echelon Cycle & Multisport

3) Wear arch support ALL the time and NEVER go barefoot, even the first step out of bed.

4) After rising from bed go straight to the bath tub and rinse your foot and lower leg in very warm water for a few minutes.

5) Hot / Cold contrast ... I usually did this later in the evening with a moist hot pack & a bucket of ice water. I alternated 2min hot / 2min cold 3-5 times before going to bed at night and wearing the splint. (this came from Shawn @ Avia ... Thanks Shawn!)

6) Strength ... finally, strengthening your lower leg / calves is often a great supplement to all the other items.

Yes, I know this looks like alot of effort, but once you get in to the routine it's well worth the time and small dollar investment to be sure you can train the way you want to.

Can you continue to run / train? For most people, yes! You'll have to lighten the training load (volume, intensity, terrain) but quite often you can continue to train assuming the pain is lessening and the protocol above is improving the condition of the PF. If you aren't improving then consider 5-7 days of no cycling or running to help accelerate the level of improvement. Then try to start back at a lower level of activity.

DISCLAIMER: OH, it's important to know I'm not a medical professional and all of this is from personal experience ... plus I stayed at A Holiday Inn Express at some point too ;-)

Good Luck ... DL




No comments: